Job Role: Learning Support Assistant
Location: Shrewsbury Shropshire
Days/Hours of Work: Monday to Friday (10:00am – 16:00pm)
We are currently recruiting for several Learning Support Assistant to work in a specialist College on the outskirts of Shrewsbury.
Our client offers a stimulating environment for young adult students between the ages of 18 to 25 years old, the students have with profound and multiple learning & communication difficulties.
This is a wonderful opportunity to work in a happy and nurturing environment and develop relationships, which can lead to long-term and permanent job opportunities.
About the Role:-
• Working under the direction of Tutors to support students to access individualised learning programmes, within small classes and on a one-to-one basis
• Providing personal intimate care to learners including the changing of continence aids.
• Supporting students’ learning and independence in the College and community
• Following communication, therapy, intervention and support strategies to help students overcome barriers to learning, including role modelling expected behaviours.
• Maintain confidentiality and ensure that safeguarding learners is paramount and promote a positive safeguarding culture at all times.
• Assisting Tutors in preparing the learning environment and ensuring that all resources are available at the start of the session.
• Assisting Tutors in clearing up after each session, putting work away, preparing displays of work etc.
• Contributing to daily records including student records of progress and achievements.
• Contributing to the assessment processes for students
• Providing physical support to learners e.g. assisting in dressing/undressing, pushing wheelchairs, transferring and hoisting.
• Providing support at meal-times – this can range from simply encouraging, to cutting up food, to hand-over hand feeding, to fully assisted feeding.
• Ensuring that learners are comfortable and appropriately positioned
• Loading and unloading vehicles and driving (no special licence needed)
About you :-
• You must have an Enhanced Child & Adult Workforce DBS.
• Able to provide referencing to cover a minimum of 2 year
• Having a full UK Driving Licence or compatible International Driving licence (due to location being rural)
• Have worked with people with profound and multiple learning difficulties
• Have worked in an educational environment
• Experience working with people with physical disabilities
• Provision of personal intimate care
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team
• A Qualification in Learning Support or willingness to obtain one
• An appropriate/relevant NVQ at level III or above or willingness to obtain one
• Qualification in Makaton / experienced in the use of Makaton
• Trained to administer Medication
• First Aid Certificate or willingness to obtain one
• Competitive pay (paid weekly)
• Consideration for all long-term opportunities with the potential to become permanent.
• Recommend a Friend’ scheme – Get £500 cash for referring a friend
• Entry to our ‘Temp of the Term’ award
• Support and advice from our professional mentors including lesson observations
• Access to a full calendar of CPD opportunities in the form of our Twilight Training Programme and other courses delivered during the school holidays.
• A dedicated consultant who will provide an honest and trustworthy service – we listen to your needs.